Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ! That’s not just a Bruce Springsteen album; it’s a standing invitation to everyone with an interest in Ideas Worth Spreading. The people of Asbury Park have long sought to spread good ideas, which is why TEDx chooses the town as the site of its largest event on the East Coast. The theme of this year’s event is “Passion,” so TEDx is putting together a list of speakers who have achieved their passions even in the face of enormous obstacles. Held at the Paramount Theatre along the Asbury Park Boardwalk, TEDxAsburyPark 2018 is sure to inspire anyone endeavoring to achieve their dreams.
A Sterling Selection of TEDx Speakers
This year’s TEDxAsburyPark event currently has more than a dozen speakers lined up and plans to sign up more as the date draws closer. These promising participants include:
- Karen Kendra Holmes– A native of Silver Spring, Maryland, Holmes has devoted her life’s work to advance the interests of the transgender community. Both as a Federal Safety Officer and in her volunteer work, she educates the broader public on how transgender people live in their communities, lead ordinary lives, and contribute to the good of society. This work led LGBTQ Nation to name her as one of its “Top 50 Transgender Americans You Need to Know in 2017.”
- Lauren Cox– Born in San Francisco but now living in New York City, Cox specializes in performing, teaching, and choreographing dance routines from a wide range of cultures. She has mastered a cornucopia of styles, including Salsa, Ballet, Jazz, Afro-Brazilian Style, and Haitian Cultural Dance. She has experience teaching and performing on an international scale, having brought her dance skills to Bolivia, India, Brazil, Hong Kong, Canada, and Columbia, as well as to communities across the United States.
- Paulina Porizkova– Born in what is now the Czech Republic, raised in Sweden, and now a citizen of the United States, Porizkova brings an international perspective to her work. Growing up as a refugee, she overcomes a host of barriers to become one of the world’s most recognized supermodels. She later expanded her career to include TV and film acting, as well as writing. In 2017, she published an opinion piece in the New York Times entitled “America Made Me a Feminist,” exploring what she learned from the unique attitudes Americans have about sexism, bodily autonomy, and women’s rights.
- Nicholas Despotidis– An optometric physician from Morganville, New Jersey, Dr. Despotidis is best known as the author of “My Children Are Nearsighted, Too,” which explores what he learned investigating the vision issues that his and many other children develop. He has played a pioneering role in the development of corneal reshaping methods, which modify contact lenses so as to slow or halt the deterioration of eyesight during childhood.
TEDxAsburyPark will be held on May 19th. Fifteen hundred people are expected to attend, with thousands more following the event online. With support from more than 100 businesses, nonprofits, schools, and professional sponsors, this year’s event is sure to leave its mark.
TEDxAsburyPark 2018 will feature:
- An audience of 1500 and over a hundred business, pedagogical, nonprofit, and professional sponsors
- More than a dozen speakers, including Federal Safety Officer and transgender activist Karen Kendra Holmes, international dance choreographer Lauren Cox, feminist, actor, and supermodel Paulina Porizkova, and optometric pioneer Nicholas Despotidis
- A gathering of people from across the East Coast with an interest in furthering their passions and celebrating Ideas Worth Spreading
As a TEDx sponsor, Ballantine is committed to extending Ideas Worth Spreading far and wide. To learn more about these commitments or our marketing services, visit our website today. If you’re interested in attending the event, enjoy 15% by using the code ‘BALLANTINE’ at checkout!
I'm the Director of Digital Services and Partner at Ballantine, a family-owned and operated direct mail & digital marketing company based in New Jersey. and started in 1966 by my great uncle!