According to a new study published by Buddy Media, most brands are posting on Twitter during normal business hours on weekdays, but most users are interacting with brands, especially with replies and retweets, on weekends.
This type of departure from what business owners expect and what actually happens in the Twitterverse underscores a strong need for a best practices document that is relevant for Twitter in 2012. So here we go:
Best Practice 1: Make Your Tweets Short
Twitter only allows 140 characters per tweet, but research suggests you should keep your tweets even shorter. Tweets that were under 100 characters saw a 17% higher user engagement.
Best Practice 2: Include a Link
Not only do links account for 92% of all brand engagement on Twitter, leaving a total of 8% of your interaction to replies and retweets, but tweets that included links also saw an 86% increase in retweet rates.
Best Practice 3: Tweet Less
The more you tweet, the less engaging your tweets become. The curve drops off after about four tweets a day, so keep the number of tweets you send to four or fewer per day.
Best Practice 4: Ask for Retweets
Tweets that asked users to “RT” their link saw 10% higher engagement; tweets that asked users to “retweet” saw 23% higher engagement. On that note, PLEASE retweet this blog post, thanks!
Best Practice 5: Include Images
Use a service like yfrog or twitpic to add images to your tweets. Tweets with images have a 200% increase in engagement.
Best Practice 6: Be Careful With Hashtags
Tweets that used hashtags saw a 21% increase in user engagement, but tweets that used three or more hashtags actually saw a 17% decrease in engagement.
We hope these six tips will make users more likely to interact with your brand and engage in a meaningful way with your content. Good luck!
Image – © Thomas Pajot – Fotolia.com